Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Friday, April 11, 2014

Day 11 - April Book Challenge

Have you ever picked up a book and thought "why am I reading this book its going to suck." and then after you finish think "oh my gosh I actually liked that book."

Well it has happened to me. Several times.

But this is the best of the "i never thought I would like this one" category.

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken


 
 When I first read the synopsis of the book I thought I would try it but I never thought I would actually enjoy reading it and start counting down the days until the sequel was published. 

Don't Know What Its About? Visit the Goodreads page linked above or keep reading. 

One day kids all over the country came down with a deadly illness. Those that were not killed started developing supernatural abilities they can't control. In order to keep them under control, the government set up "rehabilitation" centers all over the country, the worst being Thurmond. When Ruby was just 10 years old, she made her parents forget who she was and she was sent to Thurmond. After surviving there for 6 years, she escapes, finding the world outside to be completely different from when she left. She must then adapt to her surrounding and figure out if she can trust the other group of teens she comes across, all while attempting to keep her dangerous abilities a secret. Because Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. 

Despite my horrible butchering of the plot line, this book is incredibly good. Its sequel just raises the bar. I honestly can't wait to read the next installment! 

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment