Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Avalon by Mindee Arnett


Avalon by Mindee Arnett


Avalon (Avalon, #1)

Intergalactic travel has been made possible, which means the human race can travel millions of light years in the blink of an eye. The human population is now spread across the galaxy living on dozens of different planets, spaceships, and space stations. Jeth Seagrave lives on a space station in his ship Avalon with the rest of his crew of teenage thieves. They work for a powerful crime boss, Hammer, pulling of heists and the like to earn some cash. When Hammer offers Jeth the payment of a lifetime, the deed to Avalon, Jeth feels that he must take the job, no matter how dangerous. When the job is underway, Jeth and the rest of his crew find out the mysteries of their galaxy and uncover just how far some will go for power.


I kept seeing this novel all over the place and I thought I would give it a try. Let me tell you that I am glad that I did. The plot was very good. Though some of the twists were predictable quite a few did come out of left field which is always a positive in my book. Also while I was reading I couldn't help myself from comparing it to Joss Whedon's "Firefly".

   



 And yes, that IS Nathan Fillion. You guys have such a good eye. But I kept comparing these two stories because they are very similar. Intergalactic thieves and smugglers attempting survive in this harsh world. 

But back to Avalon, and more importantly, Jeth Seagrave. Jeth is the leader of his little band of thieves, and he is very protective of them. He wants them all to do their best, and most importantly, stay safe. Jeth is a great guy. He will do anything to make sure that his crew and his little sister are all safe. Especially his little sister. After losing their parents because they committed treason, Jeth and Lizzie only have themselves and their not so reliable uncle. Its no wonder they ended up working for a mob boss. 

Everything gets turned upside down on their new job. Jeth and his crew not only have to worry about trying to stay alive in an uncharted area of space, but they also must attempt to make important judgement calls. Judgement calls that include whether or not to trust three runaways. And yes, one of them is Jeth's love interest. Isn't there always a love interest? 


This book was extremely action packed. Often I felt like I was reading a book that could have easily been divided into two or thee separate installments. I am glad that Mindee Arnett did not try to space out this series longer than it should have been. I can tell that this story will be just what was necessary and nothing more. No use in beating a plot line to death. Am I right? 


Anyways, Avalon was a great read. Sci-fi, action, spaceships. Its a great reed for males, I can tell you that much. But I feel as though girls will be able to enjoy it too, or at least I did. :) 


-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment