Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Monday, October 13, 2014

Review: The Young Elites by Marie Lu


The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)

Publisher: 7 October 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages: 368
Series: The Young Elites #1

"I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.


ADELINA AMOUTERU IS A SURVIVOR OF THE BLOOD FEVER. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

TEREN SANTORO WORKS FOR THE KING. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. 

ENZO VALENCIANO IS A MEMBER OF THE DAGGER SOCIETY. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 

Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.
It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt."


LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE

What else can I say other than I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! Okay, that's it. Review over. Read the book.

I'm kidding. I have been waiting to read this book even before we all knew it was coming. Marie Lu is one of my all time favorite authors, so when the Legend Series ended (Sad) I wanted to read more of her work. I knew that no matter what her next book was about, I would read it no matter what. But when I heard the premise, holy crap was I interested. I liked the idea of the main character being a baddie. It's not something a lot of writers do. That is one main reason this novel stands out to me and is nothing like I have ever read before. And surprisingly, I have nothing negative to say about this book.

One other aspect of Marie Lu's writing abilities that I enjoyed about this novel was the description on every page. It was like the world was being painted inside of my head. I didn't have to struggle to envision anything because there was so much detail. The detail of the world around the characters, the characters appearance (Marie Lu really does have a thing for hair), and, the best part, what the characters were feeling.

Coming off of what the characters were feeling, Adelina is dark, but not as dark as I was expecting. She is still overall a good character trying to do the right thing, but there is darkness in her heart. She feels joy from causing others pain. But she would still protect her sister and those she cares about over feeling that joy. I thought the inner struggle of good and evil with Adelina was nicely done. Oh, and be advised, there is NOT a love triangle. Just because Teren and Enzo are the two main males and their names are in the description does not mean that they both have the hots for Adelina. I was so happy that didn't happen you have no idea.

The ending was crazy! I won't give too much away, but how the ending was set up leaves a huge question hanging over the readers head regarding one of the main characters. And I hope, I really, really, really, really hope that what I think will happen, actually happens. Cause that shit would be crazy. Is this making any sense at all? Probably not....

In the end, this novel was incredibly well writtten with the characters and the plot. There were twists I didn't see coming, moments that make you blush, and characters you will love to hate. I strongly recommend that everyone read The Young Elites by Marie Lu. It is an amazing novel and you will not be disappointed.

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment