Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Friday, October 3, 2014

Book to Movie. Rad or Bad. The Maze Runner Edition. Part 2.


The Maze Runner


Based on the best selling novel by James Dashner, The Maze Runner follows Thomas as he is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape.

PLOT

The Maze 
HECKA SICK!!!! The Maze was honestly better than I could have ever imagined. I loved that it had different layers that the runners could crawl through and climb on top of if they needed to. It made the action sequences so much cooler! Also with The Maze, the code changed. Many may think that this was a "f-you" to the book but I like that it was changed. Since there was less time in the movie to show everything, they added a simpler solution for The Maze. I thought it worked really well. Also the final shot of The Maze from above was so cool! It worked really well with the plot and the characters emotions. And also, it just looked awesome.


Grievers/The Changing 
Several aspects of the Grievers and The changing was altered. In the movie, no one had seen The Grievers before Thomas and Minho kill one. Also, no one had gone through The Changing until Ben was pricked and didn't tell anyone. However the Grievers were extremely disgusting looking and I applaud whoever designed those things cause I never want to see one in the flesh. They're just gross.


Gally's Disappearance 
In the book, Gally is taken off by a Griever correct? So when they escape he is already in WICKED headquarters and that is how he got a gun. However in the movie he stays behind while the others leave to find the exit. Then the exit closes off and Gally doesn't have a key to get to the exit since it was a part of a Griever. So how did Gally get there in the end? Was he taken down by W|C|K|D officials or what? It is an obvious plot hole that I am really disappointed in. Someone needs to clarify. 


Thomas/Theresa Telepathy 
Thank god. I hate voice overs so that would have drove me crazy. However you lost the sense that they knew each other and had a connection. Would have liked to see Theresa know more about W|C|K|D. Also the scene right after Theresa woke up and was throwing things at the boys was the best! I laughed so hard!


Bon Fire 
I really liked this addition. It added a sense of community and showed how the boys have really evolved since getting put in The Glade. They are having this giant celebration with booze, music, and just fun. It worked.


WICKED vs W|C|K|D 
They changed how 'WICKED' was presented in the movie It still meant generally the same thing, however I think visually, W|C|K|D looks better. And movies are a visual medium.


Wall of Names 
LOVE THIS IDEA. I thought it was so great that there was a wall of all the Gladers names, and as they disappeared or died someone would cross off the name. It really added something to the story.


Glader Slang 
I was really disappointed with how little Glader slang was used in the movie. Other than Thomas being called a "greenie" and a few people saying "klunk" or "shank" that was pretty much it. They still used modern slang like "asshole" and stuff.


Humor 
I thought there was a good balance of humor for when the movie needed it. It was not too overpowering but it was still there so the movie didn't get too heavy.


The Banishment 
I listed the Banishment as one of the scenes in the movie that I was most excited for and I have to say it lived up to the hype! I loved every second of it! It was SO GOOD! 


FINAL VERDICT

This was not the best adaptation I have ever seen. It's just a fact. However, even though some plot points were changed around, I still thought this was a good movie. The overall ideas were there and the same feeling you got when you read the book was there. I still say that everyone who is a fan of the book will ike the movie. Just don't go in expecting it to follow the book word by word, because if you do, you will be disappointed. I loved it! I want to see it again, and I probably will. As a movie I give it a 9.5, as an adaptation, I give it a 7.

Watch out for more news on The Scorch Trails, the sequel to The Maze Runner, coming to theaters in September of 2015.

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment