Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Review: Divided by Elsie Chapman


Divided (Dualed, #2)

Pages: 309
Publisher: Random House Children's
Series: Dualed #2


"West Grayer is done killing. She defeated her Alternate, a twin raised by another family, and proved she’s worthy of a future. She’s ready to move on with her life.


The Board has other plans. They want her to kill one last time, and offer her a deal worth killing for. But when West recognizes her target as a ghost from her past, she realizes she’s in over her head. The Board is lying, and West will have to uncover the truth of the past to secure her future.

How far will the Board go to keep their secrets safe? And how far will West go to save those she loves? "


I have been racking my brain all day to figure out what to say about this book without sending the wrong message. If you read my review of Dualed, the first book in the series, you will know that I absolutely loved it. While the ending was predictable I liked the characters and the idea of the book. However, for Divided, I didn't like the book as much as I thought I would. I felt the plot to be bland, the climax rather boring, and the questions left not at all riveting. Especially the whole set up for The Surround but I will get to that later. 

As a character, I thought West should have been different. She went through this whole ordeal of striking and almost losing Chord, the boy she loves, in the last novel. So wouldn't someone who went through all of that be questioning who they are and what they are doing? Other then not taking Striker jobs, West seemed like the same person. She hopped back into Striking all too fast for my taste without thinking of the repercussions. I felt as though she didn't go through a personal crisis in this novel, *SPOILER* well other than one of the targets being her Brothers Alt. That wasn't a huge surprise to me. I thought she took it all too well. 

I just felt that the novel didn't stay true to the characters that were set up in the first installment. I mean, West should have taken seeing her brothers Alt, and saving his life, way, way, WAY harder than she did. She took it well. Which is not something that I expected. And I'm not even going to talk about Chord because, well, he didn't really do much. And he took the other Alt too well also. 

The two biggest plot points, as I have stated before were West's Brother's Alt, Auden, and then the big question of what is in The Surround. Also there was this whole thing about Alt's not having to be made for 55 years, that there was a way around the sterility but the Board buried the information. 

The Surround and The Alts no longer being necessary were plot points set up for the next novel. I am still curious about those plot points so at least that was done really well. I have not previously heard the name of the next book or when it is going to come out. When I know more I will post. 

In the end, I believe that Divided was a let down for me personally. I was just hoping for a lot more than what was delivered. Now you might think differently, but that is just my opinion. I will still read the next one when it come out. If there is a next one. Just kidding. There better be. 

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment