Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Monday, July 7, 2014

I Finally Watched Ender's Game!

Ender's Game (the movie)

Ender's Game (2013) Poster


Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1)

came out a while ago, and yet it has taken me this long to sit down and watch it. 
I know, I suck. I just kept hearing that the movie wasn't that great and I kept putting it off, and putting it off, until finally I saw it On Demand and said "why not?" 

So last night at 10:00 P.M. I finally watched Ender's Game. This is what I thought:

First off, I haven't read the book since I was 14 and in the eighth grade so I don't remember all of the little details, but all of the big plot points that I do remember were there and I believe in the right order. So that was great. 

I didn't like the casting all that much, some of the actors (and unfortunately the guy who played Ender Wiggin) I didn't enjoy watching all the time. He did have some good moments, but overall I don't know. I just didn't get Ender all of the time. I understood that he was smart but he was almost emotionally unobtainable through the whole movie.

There were also a lot of other 'stars' in this book like Harrison Ford, Abigail Breslin, Moisis Arias, and Viola Davis. Each had a minimal role that somehow impacted Ender's journey. Personally, I only liked Viola Davis' character ;)

    

I liked all of the battle training scenes where it seemed as they were all in zero-gravity. It was exactly what I thought the scenes would be like when I envisioned them in my head. It was great. 


And the ending was the same. That was a big plot point that I was hoping through the whole movie that they would keep the same. So Yay! Also, that was pretty much the only time I felt compassion for Ender. So good job to Asa Butterfield for that. 

So in the end, though I don't know many of the smaller details, I believed the movie makers got the majority of the major plot points to fit into the movie. I do recommend you read 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card and then watch the movie. Read FIRST, then watch. :)

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment