Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Friday, July 25, 2014

Review: Rush by Eve Silver


Rush (The Game, #1)

Publisher: 2013 Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 361
Series: The Game #1


"so what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?


When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn."


I have no idea how long this book has been on my To Be Read list, probably since it was first published or even slightly before, but I just never gave it a chance. Until now. And let me tell you, it was AWESOME. I wasn't sure how the whole 'Game' aspect of the book would work but it was perfect.

Oh, and I just lost The Game.

The books opens with Miki saving a young girl's life by pushing her out of the way of a moving vehicle. But she dies. Instead of going to Heaven or the after life, Miki wakes up in "The Lobby". The area of the game where everyone meets before starting their mission. Now the game is rather confusing while your reading the book, you just have to keep reading until everything is revealed. However, what the game does offer is mystery, and some awesome action sequences. 

The whole purpose of The Game is to eliminate an alien species attempting to take over Earth. The Drau are kind of creepy and have wickedly awesome powers that are extremely bad for the humans trying to defeat them. There is one question rolling around your mind through the whole novel: How does someone get chosen for the game? 

I really like the characters that are in this book, or three of them at least. I like Miki, Jackson, and Luka. These three are thrust together because of the game. Jackson is team leader and Luka has been playing for almost a year. The other characters in the book were almost not important. They each served their purpose but these three are who the book revolves around. And obviously, Miki and Jackson have a thing and Luka kinda wants to have a thing with Miki. Obviously. This is a teen book isn't it? 

There are three plot twists, two of which I saw coming, near the end of the book. *SPOILERS AHEAD* Jackson is part Drau, which I'm still confused about, and Jackson is the reason that Miki is in the game. I had hunches about the two of thouse, the first one was actually pretty obvious. The last plot twist is that Jackson. Is. Killed. On. The. Last. Page. Or it makes it seem that he is dead. I don't really think that he is. But you just don't do that to a person. You don't kill someone on THE LAST PAGE. I mean what is wrong with you Eve Silver other than your awesomely awesome writing skills! I bow to you! 

In the end, I really enjoyed reading this book! It was both exciting and mysterious. I can't wait until I can dive into the sequel, Push. I have it in my possession I just have to finish up another book first. It is definitely in your best interest to pick up and read Rush by Eve Silver. 

-Shawnee Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment