Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Book to Movie. Rad or Bad. 'If I Stay' Edition.



If I Stay is based on the novel by Gayle Forman. "Life changes in an instant for young Mia Hall after a car accident puts her in a coma. During an out-of-body experience, she must decide whether to wake up and live a life far different than she had imagined." You can check out my review of the book here.

CHARACTERS

           Mia Hall
I bow down to the girl named Chloe Grace Moretz. Though she is still only a teenager (WHAT) Moretz did an AMAZING job portraying Mia! You could see the love, the joy, and the heartbreak. Whatever the story called for Moretz was able to deliver. Mia was just as I imagined her in the book.                                                           It was perfect.

              Adam
I will be the first to admit that I had some reservations about Jamie Blackley portraying Adam but I take back every negative thing I ever thought about him leading up to this performance. Blackley was able to play Adam in such a way that you, as an audience member, were able to see the love he had for Mia and how he truly felt like shit when he was                                                                kind of an ass. 

 Mom & Dad Hall
To me, the Mom & Dad were not really a huge part of the movie. Yes, the flashbacks show how much they loved Mia and how they would do anything for her and her little brother but that was pretty much it. Their only significance was them being embarrassing in front of Adam and then the car crash. 



                   Kim
I love Kim as a character. I can't remember her much during the book but the movie version of her was awesome. She was such a good friend to Mia and she was there for Adam when he needed someone. That is the definition of                                                                     a good friend, and a good person. 

Grandma & Grandpa Hall
Let me tell you, one of the absolute best and most hearbreaking moments of the entire movie was when the Grandpa was talking to comatose Mia. IT WAS SO SAD! I give all the props in the world to Stacy Keach. He deserves them. As for the grandma, she was not extremely important in the movie (sadly). She was there for a few scenes but did not give much to the plot other than to                                                 show grief over the accident. 

          Others...
All of the extras and minor characters were amazing! I wanted to just give credit to everyone in the movie because whenever Mia was walking around and they weren't supposed to look at her, none of them did. No one showed that Mia was there. It really helped create the illusion. It was AWESOME! 


PLOT

Commentary/Voice Over: I stated in my Rad or Bad of The Fault In Our Stars that I am not generally a fan of voice over/commentary in movies. However, in the case of If I Stay, I think it worked. It allowed Mia to voice her thoughts and explain the flash backs. 


Music: Music is a HUGE part of this movie. Being a musician myself (yes, singing counts and being a musician) I am always drawn to the soundtracks of movies. In this case the soundtrack was, I don't want to say amazing again because I keep using that word too much, but it was AMAZING. The performances by Willamette Stone were all so good I would go out and buy their record right now! And whoever played the cello is sooooooooo incredibly good even if you are not a classical music person you can appreciate the beauty. 


Humor: I thought there was a good balance of humorous one liners in the movie to keep it from becoming too depressing. Despite the bleak plot line, you will find yourself chuckling.


Best Day: I loved this scene! I thought it was so sweet and cute and it looked like so much fun! That's all I'm gonna say.


FINAL VERDICT

I LOVED this movie! I thought it was a great adaptation. Nothing was taken out or put in the compromised the integrity of the story. I thought the acting was all superb and the music was phenomenal. I definitely recommend going to see this movie, even if you are a fan of the book! You won't be disappointed! 

And I recommend you bring tissues, because I cried. And you all should know that I don't cry unless things are really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY sad. 

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment