Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Friday, June 13, 2014

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan


Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Publisher: 2010 Dutton Children's
Pages: 304
Series: N/A

"One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical."

Okay, first off, I LOVE LOVE LOVE both John Green and David Levithan. I have read novels by both authors and thought they were fabulous. So obviously I had extremely high hopes for this novel. Just the other day I thought to myself "Shawnee, you have put off reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson long enough. Now go read it". And let me tell you, I am so glad that I did. 

Will Grayson is just your average teenage boy, well so is the other Will Grayson. You think at times having both main charachters be named Will Grayson would get confusing but John Green & David Levithan compose the story in such a way that it is not. I want to give a shout out for them distinguishing  the two Will Grayson's chapters. One W.G. is written all in lower-case with the text being provided in an almost IM kind of way. It is a little hard to get used to at first but after the first few chapters, I was glad that there was a way to distinguish. 

Now the first Will Grayson obviously has a chip on his shoulder. He has two rules 1) Don't care too much 2) Shut up. He has intimacy issues, he sometimes doesn't like his best friend since supporting him (publicly) being a gay football player has resulted in him being ostracized from his group of friends, and he doesnt seem to want to follow the path his parents have laid out for him. Until he meets the other Will Grayson. 

Will Grayson (the other one) is a slightly depressed recluse. He only has three friends, two mathletes and one girl who he can barely call a 'friend'. The best part of his day is talking to his online boyfriend Isaac, whom he has never met in person. The day he meets the other Will Grayson was the day he was supposed to meet Isaac, something that never actually panned out. 

A bunch of other stuff happens like the first Will Grayson starts to fall for his friend Jane but is too wimpy to do anyting about if for half of the book and the second Will Grayson has a relationship with the first Will Grayson's best friend, Tiny. Who is not Tiny in body mass or personality. 

What sends this book over the edge is the humor. I was laughing the entire time! Just some of the situations they get into and some of the things they have said are absolutely HILARIOUS. Do you want to read some of the hilarity? I know you do.

“I am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me.”  

“i will admit there's a certain degree of giving a fuck that goes into not giving a fuck."

“I have to tell you man, that my stalker meter is kind of registering in the red zone right now.”  

“Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the world's gayest person who is really, really large.”

“rolf! what? are you really rolling on the floor laughing? well, please stay down there for a sec while I KICK YOUR ASS.” 

""I think he'll be all sweaty because, let's face it, most fat people get sweaty just from lifting the Twinkie to their mouth""

 See? Funny! There's so much more, but some of it wouldn't make sense out of context. So you are welcome for no spoilers and not letting you get confused. :) Seriously though, I can not even put into words how funny this book really is. Its worth the read, just for the humor. 

In the end this is another great novel from John Green and David Levithan. You will be laughing, you will see the beauty, and you will not want to put it down. So go pick up Will Grayson, Will Grayson RIGHT NOW. I mean it. RIGHT NOW! :)

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment