Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Review: The 100 by Kass Morgan


The 100 (The Hundred, #1) 

Publisher: 2013 Little, Brown Books
Pages: 323
Series: The Hundred #1

"In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again."

I will admit, I was a little tentative to read this book because I am a huge fan of the TV show on The CW.



I was worried that the book would be so incredibly different from the TV Show and it would cause me to not like either version. Well, they are both incredibly different, but I am glad that I did end up reading The 100. And I will be the first to say that I am now a Bellark shipper...at least when it comes to the book. I'm still a Filark...Clinn...Finn and Clark shipper for the TV Show. :)

First off, there are so many different dynamics for the characters but they all work so well together. There are those that are in love, those that are strong, and those that are selfish. But together they create a community of loveable characters. While Jasper, my favorite character, was an add on for the TV show, there were many others to love. I found myself being drawn to Bellamy actually. Which surprised me. You get to see a whole different, sweet, side of him that can only be seen through the characters narration.

I normally don't like reading books that are written in several different points-of-view but this one worked. Each chapter had a huge header stating which character's story we were reading. And each of the characters had their own voice, something that Kass Morgan did extremely well! I liked the idea of having one of the teens escape before the launch and stay on the space station. It allows the reader to know why the teens were sent to the ground in the first place and how it is all unfolding out in space. 

And oh my gosh, the ending. As a fan of the TV Show I already knew where the book was going, but it was an amazing ending! It left so much up to the imagination, and so much to be answered in the next book! The sequel, Day 21, is set to come out in September of this year! YAY! I can't wait! Bring it on Kass Morgan! 

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment