Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Friday, September 26, 2014

Review: Pulse by Patrick Carmen


Pulse (Pulse, #1)

Publisher: February 26, 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 371
Series: Pulse #1

"With the help of her mysterious classmate Dylan Gilmore, Faith Daniels discovers that she can move objects with her mind. This telekinetic ability is called a “pulse,” and Dylan has the talent, too.


In riveting action scenes, Faith demonstrates her ability to use her pulse against a group of telekinesis masters who are so powerful they can flatten their enemies by uprooting streetlights, throwing boulders, and changing the course of a hurtling hammer so that it becomes a deadly weapon. But even with her unusual talent, the mind--and the heart--can be difficult to control. If Faith wants to join forces with Dylan and save the world, she’ll have to harness the power of both."


Just like many other books on my To Be Read list, I have been putting off reading Pulse since I first heard about it back in 2013. I thought the premise sounded good but there was something holding me back from picking it up and devouring it. I can't exactly say what thought. The other day I finally cracked and read this book.

First off, I thought this was a great new idea for telekinesis. There have been many books out there that use super human abilities, but I liked that this novel stuck to one ability. There are some variations to different people having different weaknesses which was great, and that some are stronger because they have a second pulse and all that. It may sound a little confusing, but Patrick Carman explains everything really well. However there was a plot hole involving Faith's second pulse that didn't make sense.

One main thing that I didn't like about this novel was that it would change perspectives. One moment were reading about Faith and the next moment we are in someone else's head reading their thoughts. It is all in an omnipresent point of view, but because of the way it was written it just came across slightly odd to me. You never knew who was thinking what. Was the writing describing a character? Or what is describing what a character thought of someone else? It didn't make sense and it caused the characters to be flat. I couldn't understand their thoughts so I couldn't see them as real people.

Faith is already a strong person. She has a lot of responsibilities in her home and she seems to be the rock holding together her friendships. However with all the different pieces of news she receives though out the novel, you see just how strong she truly is. And of course, like every other YA Fiction novel, there is already a love triangle progressing. It will be very interesting to see how this will affect events though out the course of the series. I can actually see it becoming a problem and I can't wait to read all about it!

There were also several plot twists in the novel. A few of them were rather obvious, like the two or three at the very end, but I am happy to say that there were some that truly came out of left field. I always like those ones. 

Though some of the novel was cheesy and predictable, I actually liked reading it. I can't wait to see Faith grow and change in the sequel, Tremors, which is already out and sitting on my bedside table. So if you will excuse me, I am going to go read the next one. BYE! 

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment