Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)

Publisher: January 3, 2012 by Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 390
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1

"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."


I thought it was about time to read this series since everyone, and I do mean everyone, is talking about it. That, and I may have something planned for early next year that has something to do with this series. So I better read it. You know, so I am not standing there like a bumbling idiot. 

Many people know that this is a futuristic re-telling of Cinderella. There have been several, if not dozens, of books written on the subject. My personal favorite author that does re-tellings of Fairy Tales is Gregory Maguire (the guy that wrote Wicked). Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Cinder. 

I really liked this re-telling. I thought it was a fresh idea to have it set in the future, in Beijing, and have the main character be part cyborg. I liked the futuristic take on a classic tale. It made it really interesting to read and I was excited to see how the author would incorporate all the different ideas into the story.

The one negative thing I have to say about this book was that it was predictable. I saw everything coming the second the story line was introduced. Even the parts that I'm sure were supposed to be huge plot twists. I saw some of them coming after page 35. It was slightly disappointing.

However, I did enjoy reading this book. It was like nothing else out there and that in it's own right is what made it so good. I almost didn't even care that it was predictable all because it was like nothing 
I have read before. It took a classic tale and made it something new to the readers. It was terrific.

In the end, I do think that everyone should read this book. It was brilliant and I honestly can't wait to read the second installment, I just have one question, will we get to know about Cinder and what happened in her life? Or will we be placed into someone else's life? I WANT TO KNOW! 

Go read Cinder by Marissa Meyer, you won't be sorry! 

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment