Welcome to my blog where I give my honest opinion of Young Adult Fiction.
Twitter @YAFictionReview

Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne


The Wrong Side of Right

Publisher: 17 March 2015 by Dial Books
Pages: 390
Series: N/A

"Kate Quinn’s mom died last year, leaving Kate parentless and reeling. So when the unexpected shows up in her living room, Kate must confront another reality she never thought possible—or thought of at all. Kate does have a father. He’s a powerful politician. And he’s running for U.S. President. Suddenly, Kate’s moving in with a family she never knew she had, joining a campaign in support of a man she hardly knows, and falling for a rebellious boy who may not have the purest motives. This is Kate’s new life. But who is Kate? When what she truly believes flies in the face of the campaign’s talking points, she must decide. Does she turn to the family she barely knows, the boy she knows but doesn’t necessarily trust, or face a third, even scarier option?



Set against a backdrop of politics, family, and first love, this is a story of personal responsibility, complicated romance, and trying to discover who you are even as everyone tells you who you should be."


Okay, coming from someone who HATES politics (no, seriously, I hate politics...and my brother is a politician too, so I'm around it all the time), I really enjoyed this book!

There have been quite a few plots lately where someone discovers who their long lost parent is and their world gets turned upside down because of where they come from, and The Wrong Side of Right it sort of like that. Only with a twist. Kate's dad is running to become the President...............of the United States of America. Dang. 

I don't blame Kate for wanting to know her dad, especially since her mom passed away a year earlier, but seriously, sometimes I think Kate made some wrong decisions. Sometimes she needed to get a spine and tell people where they can stick it. I could tell that Kate was a strong person, a strong character, but she just needed some more confidence in herself. 

Let's talk about this star crossed lovers thing that went on. Kate's love interest is none other than the son of the current President running for a second term. If that's not a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, I don't know what is. I really did like Andrew though. He comes off as a playboy prankster in the beginning, but you slowly start to see his true colors. I enjoyed his personality and thought it brought a lot of color to the book.

In my opinion, even if you don't like politics, you will still enjoy this book. There was quite a bit of action and intrigue and I think it is definitely one to read!

-Shawnee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment